Wednesday, January 27, 2010

24...

So the 26th came and went, and now I'm officially 2 dozen years old... If that even makes any sense. Haven't really achieved much, let alone much as I would like. Some people my age are already earning 100,000++ pounds per week! Yes yes, I am talking bout professional footballers. But hey, if they can get there during the same amount of time, why not me?

One sad thing is, I was sick yesterday. Think it started with a sore throat (but not the kind you lose your voice) from taking shots of Mr Takila and Mr Smirnoff on Saturday... Felt like sandpaper grinding each other on the walls of my throat on Sunday but by Monday it eased up but in came the cough... Don't wanna get into details here but it involves a lot of coughing and quite an amount of 'green stuff'... So I pretty much spent my birthday at home, either lying in bed or in front of the screen...But then again, I guess I should be thankful that I even get to celebrate being a year older. Some people will never get the chance to do so.


Drink with caution, side effects include blackouts, vomiting and sorethroats....

On to other things, if there is one thing I have to say I dislike about HELP UC, it has to be the way the different departments are ran. Each department (econs, business, psych) has a totally different way of doing things that makes me wonder at times, are they still under the same institute? For instance, in the econs department, all we have to do is to get the timetable, see which subjects we get, and go. Whereas in the business department, have to register for which lectures and tutorial groups you wanna join on a first come first serve basis. As for the other departments, I'm not so sure, but it can't be any much the same...

Now, if the student was to say stuck in that one department for their entire duration of the course, it's fine, probably after the first week or the first semester, they will get used to it. But if they were to be like me for instance, taking different subjects from different departments, its a real pain in the ass. Not only do I have to run to different departments to get my timetable, I have to arrange it myself. Times like these makes me miss TARc =\.

So it all boiled down to today when I (I'm from the econs department) went to see the coordinator for the business department to register for my tutorial group which I had no idea I had to do in the first place...

Me: Kak, I nak register for marketing tutorial group 6 boleh tak...
Coordinator: Hah, apasal now ni u nak register? Anyways, group 6 sudah penuh...
Me: What? I tak tau kena register untuk tutorial lah kak, can lah tolong skit, my jadual pack d...
Coordinator: Awak mia department coordinator nvr tell u that this department need to register kah? ok, give me ur ID and class that u clash... These are the only available tutorial groups.....

After taking a long hard look, deciding and changing, I made up my mind. See it is not that easy when you've actually planned your initial schedule to near perfection...

Me: Ok kak, I'll join this group lah, eh thn can I register for other subjects oso ah?
Coordinator: *giving me the O.O wtf look* you mean you langsung tak register?

Me: *givin the -.-' face* No la kak, I dah cakap, I don't know this department need to register tutorials...

Coordinator: Ok ok, here are the available slots for each subject, btw, apasal I call your department, takde orang angkat har?
Me: Oh, sekarang lunch break ma, 1230-230 they all break. Ok lah, I'll go for this and this tutorial..

Coordinator: *O.O wtf look again* Ada lunch break ka??? 2 jam lagi?? kita sini lunch pun buka juga...


So after rearranging my timetable for the 3rd time (I'm sure got at least one more time to come) I can finally sit back and relax for just that little while... But actually, I get why the administrators here give each department the liberty of setting up their own way. Some departments have way more students then others so certain things must be done this way and not that. But still, it doesn't change the fact that it is a pain in the ass...

Oh and it didn't take long for the coordinator from my department to call me and ask wtf was all the commotion about. She can even say I make her 'lose face' in front of the business dept ppl. -.-'. Luckily she's quite friendly and given the our department isn't that big, she does know almost all the students quite well so, can say it was quite a light hearted banter we had...

Oh look, now pig heads are being thrown into mosques. Another May 13th incident? Well, all I can say for now is, after watching sooooo many movies, it is pretty easy to say this is one of those reverse psychology, framing someone type of gag. Hmmm...