Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sometimes Mixing Fire With Fire Is A Good Thing...

Usually during super this hot mid-day weather, I would probably think of eating something cool like ABC or at least something that is not spicy for lunch. But today I went against my gut feeling and instead decided to satisfy it with a big bowl of seafood tom yam, right after a 2 hour session of futsal no less!

Could well be the best bowl of tom yam I've had...

Went to this Chinese hawker shop somewhere in Sri Rampai (its pretty near to where I stay) for lunch with a couple of friends from college. Having been here once before, I initially thought of having something non spicy but after being convinced by Viki, thought what the heck, how bad could it get right?

Viki is very proud that his area has some awesome food...

Luckily this wasn't one of those times where those last words end up biting me in the ass. In fact, it was awesome! The tom yam came in a pretty big portion with 3 mid sized prawns (compared to small ones u usually get), a large handful of mussels a.k.a lala and some squid. All of the seafood is fresh, so no chance of me doing a Ramsay and calling the chef a donkey! The soup itself was in a league of its own. Full of flavour and very well seasoned, not too salty, not too sour, not too sweet and packs a load of heat! All of us were sweating after the meal and it wasn't from the heat of the day! Clearly something that has been concocted from hours of brewing and not something you get from a packet! One of those times where even if it hurts, you still want more!


Resistance is futile...

Best part of it all is, a bowl of this only costs RM6! As a comparison, I once had seafood laksa in Segambut few years back, pretty similar to this but just laksa soup instead of tom yam and it cost about RM12-15! Francis couldn't resist the temptation and even ordered a bowl after initially ordering a plate of chicken rice! If a Penang guy says this food is good, there's your seal of approval there!

Rest of the stuff here is pretty nice and dirt cheap as well! Had a bowl of pork noodles the last time I came and it only cost me RM3.50 for a medium bowl! Only thing is, I'm not too sure if I can find this place by myself should I have a craving for some seafood tomyam! Did I mention I finally played some futsal since CNY? Oh Happy days!!