Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Run, Fat Boy, Run...

A couple of weeks ago, PYH messaged me on MSN with this to say (may not be exact the exact words) :


PYH : Koci, before we get old and fat, lets do something challenging. Lets run a marathon.

Me : WTF, marathon meh?

PYH : Yes... KL Marathon... but just do half marathon oni la...*


That conversation went on awhile with me giving all sorts of excuses (though valid ones :P) why I wasn't too keen on it. Main reason was because I don't even own a proper pair of running shoes! And before you say 'wear futsal shoes la', please, you can't run 1km in those shoes let alone 21km.

Few days later, this topic was brought up again and he told me to buy a pair of shoes for investment (though I think he meant the running):



Ok, I have to admit, the highlighted part caught my eye especially because it also entails 'so can eat more' :). And I have to admit, I do need to lose a couple (ok maybe more) of pounds. So after consulting the masses on Facebook (by that I mean putting it up as my status) and getting positive feedbacks with some even saying they are interested in running (we'll see how many actually do :P), I was more inclined to join this half-marathon. Half only la, first time join wan me to go for full 42km meh?


If Ramsay can do it, I want to do it...

So few days back, I went with Soon, who is also joining to buy me a pair of shoes @ The Curve. Reason I went there is because they had Nike, Adidas and al-Ikhsan stores all in one place. And also because I was suppose to go for the durian buffet which failed, but that's another story altogether. After scouting around, I found out that most of the proper running shoes costs RM300 upwards ! Holy shit wtf... But after getting some medical advice from (soon to be) doctors, realised that being investing in a proper pair of shoes is crucial for the long run of my feet. So... in the end after looking at all the shops, decided to get this:


My new pair of Nike LunarGlide 2...

Cost me and upwards of RM300 but I'm sure it'll be worthwhile. The rest were either: too expensive, design not nice or too heavy. Hmmm... Hopefully it doesn't rain this evening cos I wanna test out my shoes for the first time :D. For motivation, I decided to watch the movie Run Fatboy Run again :D



Oh btw, we are thinking of running the KL Marathon on the 26th of June but of course, for us it's just the half marathon. So I have roughly 3 months to get my fitness up to appropriate levels to achieve our target of completing in 3.5 hours cos apparently, after that time, you don't get a medal for finishing. And I want some sorta recognition for running my ass of for 21km k!! Will I succeed? I hope so but one thing is for sure, to lose the pounds and to be able to eat/drink more, I'll drop dead trying... haha...

Though I haven't registered for the race, I suppose by posting this post, buying a kick ass pair of shoes, and spreading the word via Facebook, it's a little too late to turn back now eh? Great way of not quitting on myself.