Monday, January 10, 2011

One Step Closer to the Maxis Om Nom Nom Race



Malaysia is a place known for having mixing pot of people and culture. As a result, we are blessed to have a wide assortment of gastronomy choices which come from all over the world. So it comes as no surprise that many Malaysians not only love to eat, but live to eat!


How can we not love to eat when there are loads of delicious food around us...

I for one fall into this category of people who don't just eat as a necessity but enjoy eating delicious, mouth watering food. So when I read that Nuffnang along with Maxis would be organizing a competition that requires contestants to eat their way to the prize called "The Maxis Om Nom Nom Race", my eyes immediately lit up and I knew I had to throw my name in the bag to participate.


Once you've had Char Kuay Teow in Penang, nothing else compares...

I have always wanted to be one of those lucky people whose job is to travel around the globe eating and reviewing sumptuous food. Watching the likes of Anthony Bourdain, Mark Bittman, Gordon Ramsay and Andrew Zimmern go from place to place sampling nothing but the best and sometimes the weirdest food makes me green with envy! So by joining this amazing race, I will get to experience a little of what I consider as the best job in the world = eating!


Making pizzas from scratch is oddly therapeutic for me...

My love for food runs deep and I share this passion of mine with friends. We meet up once a fortnight to hunt for simple hawker food, mamaks or local delicacies. But whenever we go for this eating outings, one thing is for sure: we search for the best available to us, be it going to Klang for Bak Kut Teh, Penang for Char Kuay Teow, Kajang for satay or back home in Malacca for some satay celup! Once in a while however, we do visit restaurants that serve authentic Western cuisines from places like Germany, Brazil, Mexico and Italy.


I feel very blessed that we get authentic, good food from all over the world...

And at the end of our eating conquests, I would usually write a little review of the experience on my blog. Although I do not get any freebies or invites from these eateries (although I do wish one day I would!), I feel happy and proud when other friends and family would tell me they they purposely went to eat at a certain restaurant and love the food because they read it on my blog first!


Food, glorious food...

Once in a while, I would invite my friends over for some home made food ranging from simple pasta and pizzas to BBQ parties where the normal chicken wings, plain sausages, burger patties bought in the store would not be seen. Instead, it would be home made burgers, lamb chops, cheese sausages wrapped in bacon and baby back ribs! From how I see it, nothing taste better than food prepared and cooked at home be it the dough for the pizza, the patties for the burger or even the marinade for the ribs!


If you want to have a BBQ, have it LARGE...

Evidently, it can be seen that my love for food and my drive for culinary perfection would make me an ideal contestant for the Maxis Om Nom Nom Race this coming weekend! Should I be selected, I would like a 'L' size T-shirt. My fellow foodie enthusiast who will be in my team are Donovan, Erica and Yong Hsin.


Fantastic foodnatics (L-R): Yong Hsin, Erica and Donovan...

Now being a race, Maxis kind enough to provide contestants with an iphone 4 which acts as a GPS for them to navigate around town hoping they will not get lost! The iphone 4 also comes equipped with the Finder301 application available for FREE at http://itunes.apple.com/my/app/maxis-finder301/id375530216?mt=8# . This nifty application provides users with locations of nearby restaurants, ATMs, banks, clinics, police stations amongst others. It also boasts the largest food listings in the country which will help provide foodies with useful information of nearby restaurants like phone numbers, addresses, maps and even reviews! If I have an iphone 4, this would definitely be one of the essential applications for me!

Not only are contestants supposed to reach each place on time, solve riddles and eat, they are also required to write a review of the food and post it on their blog right there and then! In order to do so, Maxis will also provide contestants with their Maxis Wireless Broadband service which more information can be available at http://www.maxis.com.my/personal/broadband/wireless_allplans.asp. This device will be plugged into the provided laptop with uninterrupted connection to the internet for blogging on the go. If this is not tech savvy then I don't know what is!


My mom said never eat anything wider than my face, oh well, mom isn't looking...

And of course one of the main reasons I am dying to get selected to join this race is to win the grand prize which is an all expense paid trip to Hong Kong worth RM10,000 and a brand new HTC Desire Z for each contestant. How cool is that! Getting rewarded handsomely for eating, this is surely one of those win-win situations.

Oh, last but not least,



Hopefully by being a Glitterati and a Maxis Angel, my chances of joining this race is further enhanced cos I really really really wanna go!!!

So with knife in one hand and fork in another, bring on any challenge this race has to offer for I am 100% confident that our highly refined palates and clever wits will triumph over the rest in this culinary adventure!