Wednesday, January 05, 2011

That Legendary BBQ 2

One year ago, we had what was our very first new year BBQ gathering at my place. We thought what better time to get everyone (well almost) together now that one by one is working and some working far away. CNY would be good as well but the timing then is a bit tight due to obvious family obligations. So the planning was made, people were called to help, the night got under way and the rest as they say, was LEGENDARY!! So back by popular demand, we had it again this year...


The construction of The Pit 2.0 is almost done...

Me being me, was always thinking of ways to outdo last year's event by planning something more awesome. So decided to call more people this year (some people weren't able to make it due to work obligations, really feel sorry for you all weh!) and an upgrade to the menu was planned which lead to a BIGGER pit being made. Same stuff we had actually but with a few add ons: cheese sausages we had last year were wrapped in bacon this year (officially called Pigs in A Blanket), burgers had some extra ingredients and a surprising last minute addition of another main dish!


Getting the fire started...

So as per tradition, ok doing it once before can count as tradition?, with the guest list almost finalised we went grocery shopping the day before at the crack of dawn in hopes to get the freshest ingredients available. As I went to the pork section of Tesco to buy the bacon and minced meat, there right in front of me were several packets of short ribs and a big juicy packet of baby back ribs!! Now in my previous post I mentioned that my mom say butchers in Malacca don't sell ribs like those, boy how wrong she was. I stood there in front of them, staring for a good 5 minutes trying to decide: get or not to get. Went to consult with the brain trust and thankfully they agreed to get. BEST DECISION EVER!!


Some Pigs in a Blanket and Lamb Chops...

When we went to buy the grill for the BBQ, I could still picture the lady's face when Phang and me told her that we wanted 3m of wire mesh. The kind of stun dawg face you get when usually people just ask for 1m. Spent the rest of the day making the burgers and marinading the ribs. For the record, this was my first time having ribs at any BBQ let alone preparing it myself so had to rely on the ever handy Google for wisdom! So with everything good to go, the day finally came for what I called 'That Legendary BBQ part 2'.


Mikoh trying all sorts of tricks to get PYH to feed her...

The guys came over early to build the new pit, which I have to say was pretty damn impressive! Started the fire soon after and first on the grill was my ribs which was suppose to slow cook in foil for about an hour and a half. This year also had plenty of alcohol to go along with the food, though I don't know how well it was received though that really didn't matter. Had bottles of Skyy vodka, Bacardi rum, Midori, Gentleman Jack (an upgrade of Jack Daniels) and Jagermeister! Well, my intentions that night was not to get anyone drunk (so they don't puke out good food :P) so I have to say, mission accomplished!


Pineapple ball sorta failed...

Got the bacon wrapped sausages and lamb on once the fire started to stabilize and initially tried to put a whole pineapple on the grill hoping it the sugar coating would get charred just enough. Sadly though, it failed, probably needed direct fire in the pineapple so instead sliced it up and put it on the grill as well. Once all the starters of lamb and sausages were finished, it was time for the burgers to get cooked.


Filbert Taniko, MD working The Pit...

Sadly again, the burgers didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped this time. Was slightly over cooked therefore became just a bit too dry for my and I think everyone's liking. Still edible lah, so have to keep in mind, 7 minutes on the grill means 7 minutes on the grill , no longer than that chef. Though the fact DonN didn't finish his burger was not cool.


Burgers getting a grilling with the pineapple getting sliced up...

It had been roughly an hour an a half if not more since my ribs were in the foil so following the recipe, I took them out to be put directly on the heat. Didn't know what to expect really, but to my initial horror, it still looked raw to me and it was not even hot! Immediately threw it on the grill over higher heat than recommended and prayed to the patron saint of food (if there is one) that my ribs would be cooked, still moist and most importantly not burnt!


The new pièce de résistance...

After slightly more than 30 minutes of constant attention of basting with Budweiser BBQ Sauce and turning, it was finally done! The smell was so intoxicating and when I took it off the grill to the chopping board, I could still hear the sound of sizzling on the skin! Suffice to say everyone enjoyed it and even Jo-N said it was almost as good as the one she had in Bali. Hey for a first attempt at this, I'd take that compliment with high regards man! Though I think the good Dr. Ng wasn't around to taste em, had to go to the hospital for some reason. As for me, I thought it was as good as the ones I had in Phuket awhile back. So I suppose this has to go on the menu if there is a part 3 next year, fingers crossed!


Some marshmallowy goodness and also ribs of course...

So after all the food was chowed down, we sat around the fire and had something like a proper camp fire story telling session. Complete with marshmallows yo! And after that we adjourned inside for a game of Citadels (yes we are all geeks inside) though not before one or two (7 in Zhou's case) of Jagerbombs! I think this beats tequila shots... but RedBull mahal larr...


Perhaps having a little too much fun with a cleaver eh...

So everything came to an end at about 4am. Thanks you guys for helping to set up the place and cleaning up! Really appreciated all the help I got. And special thanks to PYH who came the next day to help me wash the floor before badminton! Again, for those who missed out this year, hopefully you can make it next year (fingers crossed it happens) cos as I mentioned earlier, I WILL try to out do this one. Though Soon and Mayz got a little gift ;).


Saving the best for last...

So yeah, not a bad way to kick of 2011 eh? Hope you guys and gals had fun and enjoyed the food =). Although some of us including myself no doubt will be adding the pounds after this =/.