Friday, July 02, 2010

Of Acoustics and Sound...

Now that the World Cup is taking a couple of days off, I finally have time to blog... I've always been a huge fan of acoustic versions of songs. I'm sure you know what I'm talking bout here right... none of the sounds from pickups, electric beats, amps, effects, synthesized sounds, etc. Just an alternate version usually consisting of just acoustic guitars, some light percussions, a piano maybe, though the bass might be the only one plugged in... though there are some who use acoustic bass...

I consider acoustic songs the 'stripped down to the bare bones' version of a song. To me, if an artist can pull of an acoustic version of their song, they have my utmost respect as a true songwriter/singer (not like they need it lah). It really shows they have talent and aren't merely depending on post production to make them sound good... Don't see people like beiber or jonas bros or miley or those pop bands (a,k,j) doing this...

(Below are some videos of acoustic versions of the songs in case some of you might wanna listen... I really hope you do!)

The bigger the difference in sound, the more awesome it gets. And sometimes, it even sounds better than the original version! For example a dance/disco number going all acoustic... say Lady Gaga's Paparazzi:



Sometimes, this version of the song makes it even more soulful to listen... you get to hear and at times feel (?) every word in the song... To me, it gives more meaning to the song. There are usually some changes in the song like it being shorter or not many high notes in the original, but it really works...



Other times, it makes a song that doesn't really sound good in its original version pretty good... Case: Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend... oh at the end, there's another song which is just as good as the original imho



And then there are those where all the song needs is a singer and a guitar to make it beautiful... in this case a ukulele... don't mind the video k..



Then there are artists who take it a step further by recording an album worth of acoustic versions of their songs, make a whole tour out of it and simply blows the crowd away...



As you can see, I'm a bit the crazy bout acoustic songs... and there are other songs but I don't want to bore ya'll... I think almost a lot of the songs I have consists of an original and an acoustic version... Oh, it does make playing the song myself much easier as well... haha..

And nowadays, with YouTube around, there are many acoustic versions of songs being sung by semi-pros and everyday people out there to be seen and heard. After checking out a few, I have to say, some are really really good! But I'll leave that for another day...