Monday, July 05, 2010

Of Food and Football...

What a weekend it was! Germany totally smashing Aregentina to bits to the tune of Don't Cry For Me Argentina while Spain barely made it through in the match where there were 2 saved penalties in the space of less than 10 mins apart... Literally from joy to heartache to joy again when Villa scored... Prior to that, DonN and me decided to finally check out Jarrod & Rawlins after ages of talking bout going there. Again, batman was missing cos his parents came up, though that wouldn't be his initial excuse...


Quite literally a stones' throw away from HELP College...

Anyways, getting there might be a problem for those who aren't familiar with the area but luckily for us, it was situated literally across the street from my college! I knew it was near by, but I didn't know it was THIS near... though I don't think I can afford to come here for lunch every now and again la...


Not often you see a restaurant with their own deli inside...

Its one of those places where they converted a 3 story house (there seems to be a lot of those in this area) to a restaurant a bar area, a proper dining area, a garden area and even its own deli! I was really impressed by their selection of processed meats. Next time wanna do BBQ in KL, this is the place to get fresh produce!


These little piggies didn't get to go home...

The main reason we wanted to come to this place was because they served Guinness infused dishes which have gotten some pretty rave reviews from some sites I've visited. Usually I don't like to drink the stout (esp when not ice cold) but I'm eager to try how well it goes in food. And I've read that they had very good Pigs in a Blanket which is actually sausages wrapped in bacon, so we decided to have that for appetizers. Sadly though, it didn't come out as nice as I was hoping for. It was nice and tasty but I expected much more from this dish... Maybe expected too much already? Probably if they'd use some prosciutto or Parma ham, it would've rocked more!


In this context, 'lovely piece of meat' is acceptable...

DonN ordered a Guinness Steak Pie @ RM29++ while I got a Guinness glazed rib eye steak @ RM38++ which I think is rather reasonable since its usually 50++ else where. It took awhile for our dishes to come though. But the wait was well worth it as my steak was cook to perfection though it was already kinda cold to my liking =/. However, it was still tasty and I could taste the Guinness in the sauce, it gives a kinda bitter after taste that goes rather well with the dish. Portion wise, it was just nice as after having that and the starter, I was pretty full.


Comfort food for me...

DonN's pie was good as well... the meat was very tender and juicy though I couldn't get much of the Guinness flavour but it surely is worth the try. Though it's not that different than the pie my mom makes, which for those lucky enough to eat my mom's cooking, knows its a compliment! At first he didn't think it was enough for him but by the time he finished it with a healthy helping of mash potatoes, he humbly retracted his words and said he was 'damn full'.


A few more ageing steps and this will be apple cider vinegar...

And what better way to accompany a hearty meal than a nice glass of beer... In this case, Strongbow Cider. First time trying cider, to me it really tasted like a very unsweetened version of Zapple but I like it a lot! Easy to go down and not bitter !! No wonder Sanctuary wasn't having this as part of their buy 1 free 2 promo, else I'd drink this all night long! Next time I come here (maybe for lunch) I wanna try their burgers which are said (again) to be damn chun...

Later that night, we went to a bar in Bangsar call The SmokeHouse to watch the game. Their happy hour rates were quite good, RM50 for 4 pints of Carlsberg! Oh that day was also when I spent a heck of a lot of cash... Frightened me sial... And DonN intro-ed me to Ninja Joe's Pork Burger ... More on that next time...